Friday, October 11, 2013

Transfer Tape Basics and Review of the GT Plus Medium Tack Clear Transfer Application Tape for Adhesive Vinyl

First off, I want to say any reviews on this blog do not reflect the opinion of the group Crazy Craft Buys.  The group consists of over 2000 members and they all have their opinions.  Any reviews done are from personal experience of the author.  

First, lets talk about transfer tape or also called application tape for adhesive vinyls.
Application tape is used to transfer a cut image from vinyl onto its final destination place.  One of the biggest struggles in the adhesive vinyl industry, whether its a crafter at home making gifts for friends and family to the large scale sign shops, is picking the perfect transfer tape.  I have to come to believe, there is no such thing.   There isn't one transfer tape that takes care of everything.   A lot of the large sign shops use only the paper transfer tapes. For the crafter and the businesses that do mostly cups, window decals and things like that where they use a lot of layered designs, they use mostly clear.  

The 2 most common application tapes are a paper type - similar to masking tape in consistency and then there are clear tapes where they are like a plastic.  

All of these tapes have their specifics.  If you do only indoor vinyl graphics and use vinyl like Oracal 631, there are tapes that are best for that.  If you do only outdoor graphics and use vinyls like Oracal 651, 751 and 951, then other tapes are best.   And then, 651 is different from 951 in which tape may be best.    See......frustrating!  

Depending if you do the dry method or wet method for applying - that adds to the choice of application tapes.  Some are specifically made for it and some are not meant to use with it.  



Then!!!!!!!   You have low tack, medium tack and high tack.   See, you are already pulling your hair out, now you are to the tackiness.   I have pulled my hair out and spent hours reading reviews.   I broke down and have bought rolls of a lot of tapes.  One problem, is I do small and large scale designs.  Another issue is if you sell your decals to a customer for them to apply.   All of this is why there is no one perfect application tape. 

If you do a lot of layering designs like a lot of folks that do tumblers with the outdoor vinyls, you almost have to use a clear transfer tape.  https://www.hhsignsupply.com and http://www.signwarehouse.com carry a few clear ones.  HH Sign Supply even offers it by the sheets if you are just starting out.     Buy a thinner roll, like 6 inch if you want to buy a roll as this is a good size for doing cups, frames and more.   If all you have is a 6 inch roll and have a 10 inch design you have to do, you can layer it, just be careful when removing the application tape that it all comes up as one.    One of the bigger complaints on the clear tapes - is they will sometimes leave some of their adhesive on the vinyl after removing.   This is HARD to remove.   I do a lot of banners and large designs.  I've had this happen a lot.  I finally discovered that baby wipes (non oil) cleans it quite well.   Straight alcohol never worked for me.  I have switched to using paper tapes for my banners, no residue and just friendlier.  

I do a lot of designs for boats, aluminum hunting boats where they are straight metal or have the matte camouflage paint jobs.  The clear tapes are hard for the customer to use.   The tape wants to pull the design back off the boat.   I have used it enough where I have no problem applying the graphic.   But someone who has never used application tape and is suddenly doing a 5 or 6 foot graphic struggles.   I am finding some of the paper tapes are better for this and am still in the process of testing.   I basically do some designs and have friends and family try putting designs on cars and boats heading for scrap metal.  

One of the best information articles I have found that tells a lot of basics on application tapes is here:


On to a review of GT Plus Medium Tack Clear.   I got my roll from HH Sign Supply.  I started with an 8 inch roll then got a 12 inch roll.   Overall, I love this tape.  When I started with vinyl, I did mostly double wall tumblers and painted wooden signs.   I have since done over 2500 tumblers and over 100 signs.   I do a lot of layered designs on the tumblers.  The GT was perfect for it.  However, on occasion, if I had a design where a large surface was vinyl, it would leave some residue on the vinyl.   Not always and not often, but its a pain to clean up.  Overall, unless I find one I like more, which I have 2 more sitting here waiting to be tested, this is my go to tape for cups.  

On the painted wood signs, it does pretty good as long as my paint is completely dry.  If its not cured, the tape sometimes will try to pull some of the paint off.  When I am doing distressed signs, I don't mind this a lot as it kind of gives the chipped look in some areas.  I also have a customer that buys a lot of 18 and 24 inch decals from me that applies his designs to painted wood.  He hasn't had any problems with it and he had never used application tape until he started buying designs from me. 

So....perfect tape....nope.   Overall, except for the customer that does the large signs, my customers can't use it.   When I do the large designs for boats, the customers have a very hard time getting the decal to adhere to the metal (normally boats).   Now....this could be they aren't cleaning the metal enough, maybe the metal was too cold.  I don't know.  But I want my decal to be proudly shown on their truck, boat or whatever.   They loved that it was clear, but just couldn't get it to adhere.    Now.....I could try a lighter tack tape, but, then it has issues picking up Oracal 651 and 751 sometimes.  Papertape is what I am converting to when I sell a design to a customer where its going on items like this.  Its just easier for them to apply themselves.  

I do a lot of monogram and small single layered designs that I sell on etsy.   If I know what item its going on, I can use the GT, but if its not glass, I don't like using the GT on it as I am afraid they won't go by the directions and they will have difficulty using it.   I am testing a transfer tape for this for an overall clear.  So far so good, but won't do a review on it just yet.  



I am hoping you liked this article.  We are striving to make this an awesome blog with tons of followers.  We want to recognize some great crafters, some great businesses and more.   We plan on doing a lot of giveaways, but really need more followers.   October 20, we will do a random drawing on all of the people who have commented on this post.  Winner will receive a $5 Gift Certificate to Sign Warehouse, HH Sigh Supply or to SaveACup.   Be sure to post a comment and be sure you leave an email or a way for us to contact you.  

27 comments:

  1. Great info, I have problems with my transfer tape being to sticky even after I stick to my pants a few times. Its a learning experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great info! Love the comparisons thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I found it!!! ;) Melody C. from CCB group. I personally use the GT plus from H&H and really like it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that different vinyl needed different transfer tapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Answered a lot of my questions and great information thanks for sharing!



    debz831@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the GT medium transfer tape and love it I mostly have used it on tumblers and and few wooden signs. I love this blog and hope to learn a lot thanks for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use the GT medium tack and love it. Mostly do tumblers but have done a few wooden signs and works great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great article! I was just thinking I needed new transfer tape. I am glad I found this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah ha see some of us do read, may just be a little slower and miss out of the hints. lol Great article on tape, some rolls seem to be better than others even when you stick with the same brand all the time. I have a variety of clear and paper on hand. Slowly learning which I like the best and which I hate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the transfer tape from H&H. I use both paper and clear as well. I find the paper has more give to it so if you are putting a decal on something that is not flat it has that extra bit of flexibility to help straighten things out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the great explanations! Wouldn't it be cool if one of the vinyl suppliers would to a sample pack of transfer tapes so we could try them without having to buy a full role?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic article - been doing vinyl stuff for almost 2 years and still found this really helpful!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome info...Thanks for all that you guys do!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! My head is spinning from all that information. I think I will have a glass of wine and then read it again. Great information :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know different vinyl needed different tape, either. Thanks for all the info.

    Valarie Giogas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very informative. I need to order more transfer tape, now just to decide what will best meet my needs. I don't want to post my email address here, but you can find me on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is very infirmational! I've used clear contact paper out of fear of ruining my "good" expensive transfer tape but think I'll take the.plunge!
    chacoyaguayo@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have found some from craftvinyl that I loved but they don't sell it in rolls. Anyone know what is comparable?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I needed this! I used to have some transfer tape that I LOVED, the last time I ordered 2 big rolls, assuming it was the same, and they changed it and I hate it! Thanks for the help!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found this blog today but am certain I will be visiting it often.. Thanks for all the tips..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing!
    Charlotte
    charlottecornett@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the helpful post and the fun giveaway! I hope I'm the winner! :)
    livingdesignsvinyl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice information to keep handy. I use clear mostly. Might rethink the paper.Deb
    dbooth@metalink.net

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice Article! I usually use the clear tape since I seem to layer a lot but I haven't tried that one. I will now though based on this article and your review, Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for submitting your comment. All comments are moderated to prevent spam, we will allow it as soon as we get a chance to check it and approve it.